Friday 19 August 2016

Docker 1.12 and Crate (Redux)

So I managed to solve the little problem I was having the other day with getting a Crate cluster running properly under Docker Engine 1.12. Thanks to a tip-off I got on that previous blog post I have been able to solve the problem. But not without creating one more...

The tip-off I received was to change the endpoint mode for the Crate service to DNSRR, rather than the default VIP. Easy enough to change, but it comes at a very annoying cost. By using DNSRR we are no-longer able to publish a port for the service on the public IPs of the Swarm members. As shown in the video, this is a known issue and documented here in Github. If you care about getting this fixed, please add your thoughts to the conversation.

The video does not cover the creation of the machines (docker-machine create -d virtualbox "machine name") but it does cover:

  • Creating the Docker Swarm across three machines (1x manager, 2x worker)
  • Deploying the Crate service
  • Accessing the Crate cluster vis SSH and port forwarding
  • Scaling the Crate cluster by adding a swarm member

For now, I hope this is useful for you! Now that I have got something working properly inside Docker Enginer 1.12, official documentation from Crate.io will follow soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment